view:  full / summary


Posted by Natalya on July 21, 2014 at 11:00 PM Comments comments (46)

I just moved FFT to its new and final home: See it here at Hope to see you there!!

Moving Site

Posted by Natalya on June 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM Comments comments (0)

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted in a super-duper long time! I'm so sorry!! I completely forgot to notify all of you that Fructose Free Teens is moving sites, to a lovely domain called Weebly. I just think that the layout looks better there. Unfortunately, there isn't a member page there, so show your support by commenting on all my blog posts. :)

Here's the link:

See you there!


Changes - 09/29/2013

Posted by Natalya on September 29, 2013 at 11:35 PM Comments comments (0)

Hey, everyone! I have so much to say right now, and this will probably take up a lot of space, so I'll get started immediately.

The last time I posted was in April. Lots has changed since then. For one, I'm now 82 pounds, which is perfectly healthy for me!!! I was so, so, so happy when I saw that number on the scale. :)

I haven't had any packaged mixes  (even if they were okay) except for Bisquick and Pure Pantry for pancakes/waffles. They work for me, and I hope that they work for you if you choose to look into them.

I do have some of those days where I'm not hungry, or I just feel a Actually, these past few days, I have been feeling a little off. I'll explain more about that later. For now, I'll just put a little section on what I do when I'm not feeling my normal self.

What if I start feeling abnormal?

If you start to feel unlike your normal self, don't ignore you. You are intune to your own body and even though fructose malabsorption can cause you to become more sensitive about your stomach or feelings, don't brush it off as overeacting. I find that taking walks, taking showers, taking baths, and/or eating something. I know the last one is like" What?!" but sometimes, you may actually be hungry. Be careful on that one; you don't want to feel worse. I would recommend taking a walk as your first course of action, and see if it helps you feel better. It certainly helps me. If you're feeling empty, however, eat something.

Anyways, back to the changes. I had a great summer, and my mom and I called it a "redo summer" because the summer of '12 was awful - I felt awful, I looked awful, and it was just...yeah. I had so much fun this summer and I'm so glad that I feel better. Well, I'm SO SO SO glad that I feel better. I can't put it into words, really.

The website is undergoing some changes right now, and may be moved to a different web-hosting website, but I'm not sure yet. Weebly and Wordpress are ideas. There may be some more in the future.

I've started a new school year, and I'm in seventh grade now, and at a new school. No one has really gone in depth in trying to figure out why I'm not eating what they are. Sometimes I get the occasional "Why can't you have _____ again?" and sometimes I'll say I'm allergic, sometimes I'll say that I'm not hungry, and sometimes I'll explain, depending on my mood. They seem to know that fructose is in everything though, which I found somewhat amusing. "Wait, is fructose in cookies?" Yes. They then proceeded to go into a sympathetic stage for me. xD

I do have volleyball everyday, and I'm usually quite hungry by the time it finishes. See, I have lots of water during the day and eat 6-7 small meals a day. Research actually shows that many small meals are better than three big ones - I even did that when I wasn't Dx. I strongly recommend drinking lots of water and having many small meals a day. But my point here is that, since Thursday/Friday, I've been feeling a little off. From Friday morning: stomach felt very off. I was hungry and full at the same time, I think, but I felt pretty empty and it wasn't a nice feeling. Especially during the night - I could barely get to sleep and I had to shift my position a lot. Finally, my mom got me rice crackers from Blue Diamond and I had 3 of them with a glass of water. I felt better after that (this sounds weird but I almost like being full rather than empty if I have to feel something, because I know what full feels like and can fix it easily) but slept with my head high so I wouldn't feel sick from eating and lying down. This morning I can still taste the rice crackers (it's almost 7am here and I had the crackers at around 2-3am) but I'm not hungry, and I tried taking a walk but I only feel a bit better. I might mention that after eating a medium-sized dinner, I felt the best I had felt all day.

It was very strange, to say the least. At first, I thought I had a stomach bug, and then I realized that the feeling was hunger. I was so hungry that it hurt my stomach and made me feel empty! However, yesterday, I still wasn't back to normal, and last night I had to shift positions a lot...I also had some "nightmares" that weren't really nightmares, but kept me somewhat awake. I moved to my mom's room at about midnight. This morning, I woke up, took a long shower, and spent some time in the bathroom with loose stools. Afterwards, I felt better, but I only had a piece of toast for my first meal, instead of pancakes or eggs, bacon, and toast. I'm hoping that tomorrow I feel better!

On Friday, it will have been one year since being Dx. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It'll be bittersweet, that's for sure. I'll be sure to post on that day, like I said on the Home page under Announcements. Be sure to check that section every week for updates. Also, the dreaded H-holiday is coming up, and it'll definitely be hard to hear all that candy talk. :( I'll post here though, so you guys have some inspiration.

Feel free to comment on these blog posts! I'll be updating weekly or bi-weekly from now on, every Sunday, and usually before 9:00pm, unlike today. As weird as this sounds, I'd like to hear about some of your "down" days, when you don't feel well, but also your "up" days. Until next time.

- Natalya :3

Hello! - 4/6/2013

Posted by Natalya on April 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM Comments comments (0)

Sorry that I haven't been posting in a while. I've been doing some other things, but I have great news.

1. I've finally reached 75/76 pounds! My healthy weight is 77, so I'm almost there!

2. I've felt great, except for a couple times (which I'll say below.)

3. My mom now has about 5 or 6 desserts that I can have (listed below.)

The one time I haven't felt well is one day about a month or two ago when I had had some corn bread from Bob's Red Mill mix. It had been fine before when I had it, but this time I guess I had had too much, because in the middle of the night, my stomach hurt so badly that I was basically just praying in bed. My mom wasn't home because she was helping somebody, so I called her, and she said she'd be home soon. That was not a happy day at all.

One other time is when I had had Bob's Red Mill cinnamon roll mix. Again, probably too much. It was on Christmas, and that night, my stomach hurt badly for about 5 days to a week. Bad ending to a holiday.

So I probably shouldn't have Bob's Red Mill products anymore.

Also, on the desserts, if you want me to post the recipe for any of these, just tell me! :3

1. We found a chocolate bar! Theo's Chocolates. The factory is located in Seattle, and we found the chocolate at a Whole Foods store.

2. Chocolate chip cookies (already located on recipe page)

3. Sunflower butter cookies

4. Sunflower butter and chocolate chip cookies

5. Chocolate and sunflower butter bar thing

6. Ice cream w/ ice cream mixer

Yea, so just comment anything, a question, just something you want to say, you can ask me anything about this.

Afterwards // Part 8

Posted by Natalya on January 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM Comments comments (1)
The reason why my stomach was hurting was three reasons- one was that I couldn't absorb fructose, two was that there was SO much bacteria in my stomach, and three was that I was constipated. That explains a lot, doesn't it? They made me take antibiotics for a few weeks, then probiotics for good bacteria for a few weeks, then all I had was MiraLax, as they had to taper me off of it. A few big times after that was Halloween- I was sad the whole day because everybody was talking about candy and whatnot. Next was Thanksgiving, because my mom made everything that I could have, so I was happy. After Christmas, though, I think I ate too much cinnamon roll, because from then to now I couldn't eat as much- but I'm better now. I've learned to just take it in stride and try not to get too upset about it- some people don't even have food on their tables. I will now just post blog entries every week or so because I'll be talking about bigger events, recipes, things like that, but feel free to comment! ;)

Breath Test // Part 7

Posted by Natalya on January 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM Comments comments (0)

The last test they decided to take was the fructose intolerance breath test. It was on the Friday before my 6th Grade Camp. They had me go into a room and drink 8 oz. of pure fructose, then go out of the room and do whatever I wanted to in the waiting room for three and a half hours. Every 15 minutes they took a breath, then every 30, then an hour, until it had been 3 hours. I was reading, drawing, writing, playing on my iPod, that sort of thing. Just no eating or drinking anything. They told us that the test results would come by Sunday or so, and if not, definitely next week.

We left, and we were thinking that I didn't have it, because I had felt fine after I drank all that fructose. Fun fact: I did not have fructose intolerance, so technically we were right. Malabsorption is not as bad as intolerance.

The test results did not come back by Sunday, like they thought. I went to camp on Wednesday, and I had fun, because I was still thinking I didn't have it. I came back Friday afternoon. My mom was talking to somebody, but she stopped when she saw me. We went home a few hours later (because she works at my school.)

We get home and she gives me chicken, rice, and spinach... but with a different flavor.

"Mom, what did you flavor this with? It doesn't taste bad, but it's different."

"Garlic-infused oil," she had replied.

I kept eating, when suddenly she holds out this small white pill.

"Sweetie, I talked to the doctor over the phone, and he wants you to have this antibiotic."

At that point I was on the verge of tears, because if she had talked to the doctor, that probably meant...

"Did they... call?"

She nodded.

"Was it... positive?"

She nodded again, and I started crying.

Upper GI // Part 6

Posted by Natalya on December 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM Comments comments (0)

The Upper GI was next, about a week later, I believe. By that time, the results of the endoscopy had come back, and "revealed" that I had eucinophiliac gastritis, which was allergies to food which made my stomach hurt. We didn't know what "revealed" meant, but we did know that there was a little bit of bacteria in my stomach.

But anyways, we went into the Upper GI room, and they made me change into a gown instead of my t-shirt. Then they put me, standing up, on this machine thing, so I was standing against it. I had to drink this fizzy stuff, kinda like pop rocks in water, except softer... and not poppy. They told me to try not to burp. I didn't have to. Next, they mixed the barium with this orange flavored stuff (I am now mentally scarred by anything that tastes like that flavor. Urgh.) and I had to drink some.

They had a machine that could tell how much I was drinking at a time. I was like, barely sipping, and they were like, "Drink up!" So I did. It tasted good, at first, and then it tasted horrible when I realized I had to drink two cups of it. Then the machine tilted back and I was laying down on it. They flipped me over onto my stomach and X-rayed me, while continuing to tell me to turn over and over. That wasn't that bad, actually, just the drinking part. The barium began to coat my stomach, like it was supposed to.

After that, they gave me another cup and told us to walk around the hospital while drinking it. I really didn't want to drink another full cup, but I had to in order for them to do the X-ray. And if they didn't do the X-ray cause I didn't drink enough, we would have to do it another time. So we walked and I drank. I drank all but a little bit at the bottom, but they said it was okay.

They took the X-ray, and then I went home/to school. I can't remember. My stools, as they had warned me, were white and watery for about two days, then they were as normal as MiraLax makes them.

That was actually the worst test that they took. The next one changed everything.

Endoscopy // Part 5

Posted by Natalya on December 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM Comments comments (0)

After about a week and a half had passed, the doctor called and said that they'd like to schedule the endoscopy  and Upper GI earlier because it was easier. So we did, hoping I'd feel better before then.

On the day of the endoscopy, I left school at about 1:30pm and went to Mary Bridge. I had only been able to have white rice, white potatoes, and white fish that day so it wouldn't taint the coloring of my stomach. I also had green Jello and an orange Popsicle (they said it was okay). They told me to lay down on the cot and I was able to hold my stuffed animal I had brought. They then put on some numbing cream on my arm. They proceeded to stick the IV needle to draw blood into my arm six times. They couldn't get the blood until then. By that time I was like, "SERIOUSLY?!" Next, they attached the IV to my arm and put a blood pressure thing on my finger. They wheeled me into the anesthesia room. I was really nervous - that was my first time under anesthesia. They put the anesthesia into the IV needle and I drifted off...

I woke up really faint and they offered me apple juice and goldfish. I sipped on the juice and ate some of the goldfish. After about 45 minutes, we were able to go home. I laid on the couch watching TV under bed time. I woke up the next morning feeling fine.

Specialist // Part 4

Posted by Natalya on December 19, 2012 at 10:35 PM Comments comments (0)

The doctor was very surprised that I hadn't gotten better yet - and more than a little worried. He told me I had to start eating, and even thought I might be anorexic (which I most certainly was not!). We tried to get more food in me - we really did. But it wasn't enough, my doctor said to start eating 1800 calories a day by drinking Ensure and things with high calories. They were actually (well, most of them) all bad foods. No wonder I didn't get better.

After a while of this, I was referred to a specialist - a gastroenterologist. I don't quite remember her name. So we scheduled an appointment on a Thursday. On about Tuesday of that week, we decided to go over there because I was miserable and I just wanted to be better already - to the point of not caring if they had to replace my stomach! Thank gosh they found a doctor who happened to be there - and also happened to be the best doctor EVER. He was the man who studied fructose malabsorption. But that's a bit later. So now they asked us questions, took my height and weight, asked more questions, asked how much it hurt, took a nutritionist in, all that stuff.

By the end of the appointment (3 hours long) I was a bit hungry and they had said to continue getting calories, but not to worry about it so much, and they also told me to take probiotics - and to start taking Prilosec - my stomach was FULL of air bubbles, they said, and Prilosec would supposedly help reduce them. They said to come back in 2-3 weeks if I didn't feel better and they would schedule an endoscopy and an Upper GI.

We left for home feeling hopeful that I would feel better by the end of the month (September).

California // Part 3

Posted by Natalya on November 1, 2012 at 11:40 PM Comments comments (10)

My Birthday (a week or two later)

My mom and I started to worry a little because I could barely get anything down still. It was pitiful. I had my friend over to watch a movie, and I had a few bites of something (sorry, can't remember) but when we got home, I STILL wasn't hungry. Finally, a few days later, we went to see the doctor again. He was shocked. He said that I should have had my appetite skyrocketing up after that. He told me to leave the room, so I waited outside. When my mom came out, she said that from then (July) on, I had to have MiraLax, a capful a day. MiraLax helped. A little, now that I look back. I could have a LOT of tiny meals a day, and by tiny, I mean half a NutriGrain bar in the morning because in the morning, I was full, which was odd. I had the MiraLax at night. Then we went to California. I had a bit bigger amounts, probably because I was getting the stuff out of my system. Not all of it, mind you. Just some of it. We came back from California, and went to go see my doctor.